Picture 12.

The Custom House, looking down N. Peters St., from a view book dated 1892.  According to the caption in the book, the building was also being used as the Post Office.  Note how electrical poles and wires are beginning to accumulate on the street, but there are as yet no wires over the tracks.  The beginning of streetcar electrification in New Orleans is still a year away, and on the lines seen at this location, it is three years in the future. Wittemann/Albertype


Previous Picture | Next Picture