Four closer views of the ornate fountain in the Canal Street neutral ground at the Camp/Chartres intersection, seen also in Pictures 46, 47, 62, 64, and 65. The first is from an 1893 magazine engraving, with the caption “Canal Street Fountain.” The second and third are from stereocards. The back of the second is noted, in an apparently contemporary hand, “March 17 1880”. The third is inscribed on the back of the card, also in an apparently contemporary hand, “Fountain on Canal Street New Orleans”. In the second and third pictures, the fountain appears to be used to display advertising. For example, the front center panel reads “E. A. Tyler / Watches & Jewelry / 115 Canal St.” Also, there are at least two columns of signs under the dome carrying more advertising. All three views are toward the river. Note the still-incomplete Custom House in the left background. The fountain is not centered in the neutral ground. On our left, the downtown side of the street, we can see a track on each side of a line of trees. To our right is another track, the outer riverbound track. Unfortunately, we cannot see through the fountain structure to determine whether there is a horsecar turntable on the other side, but since the line of trees to the right (on the uptown side) seems to be missing in the second and third pictures, the turntable is probably there. The fourth picture is from a double-page engraving in an 1871 magazine. It features the gathering of a group from a fraternal organization called the Order of Heptasophs, or the Seven Wise Men, who are about to parade on Canal Street. Note the banners marked “SWM”. This view looks out from Camp/Chartres, where the fountain was located, toward St. Charles/Royal, where the Henry Clay statue can be seen. Beyond that is the steeple of Christ Church at Canal and Dauphine Streets. A horsecar is working its way toward the viewer, with the driver leaning over the side of the car encouraging the crowd to give him room to pass. On the fountain itself, the roof panel facing us is inscribed “Belknap's Advertising Fountain”. The two panels to the left and right of that one are marked “Louisville Route” and “Pan Handle R. R.” Note the uniformed black man in the right foreground. To our left from him we see a lady with full face veil standing demurely behind her husband. — Scribner's Monthly, v. 7, no. 2, December 1873, p. 141 (top picture); S. T. Blessing (second picture); the third picture is anonymous, but probably was also taken by Blessing, at the same time as the second; Every Saturday, July 1, 1871, pp. 8-9, engraving signed E. Sears N.Y. (fourth picture).
Previous Picture | Next Picture