Picture 79.

This picture is from some time between 1897 and 1900.  The Clay statue can be seen in the center, and the distinctive tower of the building at the corner of Canal and Carondelet at the left, so the view is toward the lake from a point between Camp/Chartres (at the photographer's back) and St. Charles/Royal (ahead, where the statue is located).  We can see streetcars on four of the five tracks at this point, all except the left-hand (riverbound) outer track.  On the center track, we see Orleans RR car 199 preparing to begin its outbound trip.  This car appears to be a New Orleans Traction Co. car, one of the “1894 Brills”.  At our right, on the lakebound outer track, a standard gauge FB&D car ornately marked for the “N. O. & C. R. R. Co.” shows a mesh fender, and a route sign (unfortunately unreadable) hanging from the platform hood; it would have been operating on St. Charles, Jackson, or the original Napoleon line.


Previous Picture | Next Picture