Picture 114.

A streetcar on the French Market or Levee and Barracks line turns from N. Peters Street into Canal Street, with the Custom House in the background.  The Brill Co. built 201 of these little 7- and 8-window cars between 1893 and 1895 to begin electric service over many of the former horsecar lines of the New Orleans Traction Co.  The picture clearly shows that this short car had double trucks.  These were the Brill 22-E Maximum Traction trucks, much advertised by the Brill Co. at that time.  But these trucks were prone to derail in New Orleans, and were quickly replaced by single trucks.  So this picture probably dates from before 1900. Frank S. Thayer

Previous Picture | Next Picture