Pictures 117 and 118.

These two pictures, taken from similar vantage points, both date from the early 1900s.  The upper view is probably the earlier one: although it has a 1907 date and postmark, it appears to predate the 1904 state law that required vestibules.  The view is out, from a vantage point at about Camp Street.  The closest car is single truck number 231, whose route sign (hanging from the front platform roof) identifies it as being on the Jackson Avenue line.  It is inbound (riverbound) on the outer track, heading for the loop.  Cars 230-244 were FB&D cars, built in 1900 by the St. Louis Car Co.  We see signs for several businesses on the downtown side of Canal Street, including the Marx Bros. Clothiers, Union Central Life, and at 615 and 617 Canal, M. Scooler Jeweler.  The lower picture is probably from just a few years later, perhaps about 1907.  This view looks out from the middle of the block between Camp/Chartres and St. Charles/Royal, toward Royal Street.  Single truck car 219 in green is approaching on the outer track, operating on the Tulane Belt line.  This car is another in the FB&D group 160-229, built by American Car Co. in 1899.  One can almost, but not quite, read the company names on the side of the red and yellow cars on the far side of the neutral ground.  The sign for B. Cohn Co., seen in the lower view painted on the brick at the top of a building, seems in the upper view to have been covered by a temporary banner advertising Grunewald's Music Store.  At the left in the distance in both pictures, we can see the dome of the old Maison Blanche building. C. B. Mason (lower)

Previous Picture | Next Picture