Picture 131.3.

The terminal area at the foot of Canal Street, some time between 1899 and 1904.  Emergency tower wagon no. 2 of the New Orleans City R. R. Co. is supporting two men working on some problem with the overhead wire, as the motorman and conductor of car 510 look on from the platforms of their car.  The 510 is one of the American Car Co. double truck cars built to Barney & Smith design in 1898.  It was usually assigned to pull a train of trailers on the West End Line, but that line did not usually come to the foot of Canal, so the car may be in use as a single streetcar.  At left on the outer track is FB&D car 207, one of the standard gauge cars 160-229 built by American in 1899 for the New Orleans & Carrollton.  Of the three other single truck cars in view, the one to the right is one of the “Esplanade” cars, numbers 260-277, built in 1900 by St. Louis Car Co., and the other two are 20' Brills built between 1893 and 1895 for New Orleans City R. R. — Teunisson Photo, collection of Eugene Groves


Previous Picture | Next Picture