Pictures 222, 223, and 224.

These three views show Canal Street after the 1929 rebuilding, looking out toward the lake.  In the uppermost view, which has a 1939 postmark, we can see Camp Street at the lower left; St. Charles/Royal is the next intersection, and is the closest intersection in the lowest view.  Especially in the upper picture, we can see that track on Royal no longer crosses Canal into St. Charles, but turns and connects to the outer track on Canal, as do the tracks on all the uptown streets (Camp and St. Charles, for example).  This was the pattern from Peters all the way out to Rampart.  (At Carondelet, the downbound track connected to both the inner and outer Canal tracks.  The inner-track connection was used by Tulane Belt cars.)  Note how the inner tracks on Canal are closer together, leaving room for right-hand-door passenger boarding space.  All the streetcars visible are arch roofed, and belong to the 400 or 800-900 classes. E. C. Kropp Co. (upper), C. B. Mason (lower)

The middle picture is made from the same photograph as the upper, but it is interesting to compare the two and see how the upper picture has been retouched.  There are enough similarities of trivial details, such as the positions of some of the pedestrians, to be sure that they began from the same photograph.  But the upper has clearly been retouched for example, the streetcar in the center foreground position is more crude than its counterpart in the middle picture, and some of the automobile traffic in the right foreground has been painted out. Giant Card Co. (middle)




Previous Picture | Next Picture