Most of Canal Street had a grassy neutral ground with only one pair of tracks in the center. This refers to everything toward the lake from Claiborne Ave. outward to the cemeteries. This picture of the Boys High School (built in 1913, later named Warren Easton High School, and made coed in 1952) on Canal Street near Canal Station shows a typical block of this grassy streetcar right of way. Note the then-young trees (the card is postmarked 1922), and the crown of the cross street, which rises to the level of the tracks. About the only things that changed from this picture to the end of Canal streetcar service in 1964 were the size of the trees and the name of the high school.
Previous Picture | Next Picture