Pictures 95 through 95.3.

The top picture is from a picture postcard showing an elevated view out toward the lake.  The first intersection is Camp and Chartres Streets.  A car on the French Market, Levee and Barracks, S. Peters, or Tchoupitoulas line is on the center track changing ends at that intersection.  In the next block, a car on one of the Orleans RR lines (Bayou St. John, Broad, or City Park) is maneuvering from the outer riverbound track to the center track, where it will change ends for its return trip.  The date is sometime between 1902 and 1904.


The other three pictures are high-resolution details from the original, as posted to the web by  The first of these shows FB&D car 142 on the riverbound outer track.  The route sign in the clerestory glass says Claiborne Avenue.  There is another route sign hanging from the lip of the platform roof, but it is not readable.  Car 142 is a standard gauge single truck car, one of the group built in 1896 by American Car Co. as numbers 25-49 for the Canal & Claiborne RR before its absorption into the N. O. & Carrollton, where the group was renumbered in 1899 to be 125-149.  On the center track next to car 142 is car 74 of the N. O. City RR, showing a Levee & Bcks (Barracks) route sign on its dash.  This car was part of the 1894 order from the Brill Co., order number 5777, which produced 7-window cars 66-115 for the electrification of the NOCRR lines.  It is seen at its terminal, riding on its original double trucks.


The second detail view shows the block between Camp and St. Charles Streets.  On our left at the front is car 160 (or possibly 150) on the riverbound inner track.  The route sign on the dash is unreadable.  This car was part of the Brill order number 5779 which produced in 1894 cars 116-165.  It is another 7-window car, still on its original double trucks.  In the center front, we see a car apparently numbered 275 (though it is not very clear), on the inner riverbound track.  Again there is a route sign, unreadable, this time on the corner of the dash panel.  Car 275 was part of order number 92 from St. Louis Car Co. that produced cars 260-277 in 1900.  Seen just behind car 275 is car 61 of the Orleans RR, in the process of switching from the riverbound outer track to its terminal on the center track.  It carries its route sign above the lip of the platform roof; though unreadable, it must be for the Bayou St. John, Broad, or City Park line.  Car 61 is a single truck FB&D car built by St. Louis Car Co. in 1902, order number 245, the high-numbered car of the group 50-61.  Leading car 275 are a “Palace” car and a smaller car, but few details can be made out.  However, we can see that the “Palace” car has a vertical handbrake wheel, so we know it must be equipped with air brakes, the first New Orleans cars to have them.  Another “Palace” car, riverbound on the inner track, is waiting for pedestrians and car 61 to move out of its path.


We can see ten more streetcars in the third detail picture.  At the lower left corner, there is yet another “Palace” car on the inner lakebound track.  There is a cluster of three streetcars just out from that “Palace” car.  On the outer riverbound track, we can see a St. Charles Street RR Pullman car, but we cannot read its number or route signs.  Next to it, on the inner riverbound track, is a rare view of a “Morris” car, one of the group originally numbered 046-057, built 1902-03 in New Orleans, designed by Edmund J. Morris of N. O. City Railway.  Although we cannot read its number, it is identifiable by its length, its double trolley poles (at this date, even the long “Palace” cars had only a single trolley pole), and the doubled car number on the front dash, necessitated by the train door in the middle of the dash.  Behind the “Morris” car is another small car, perhaps another of the 1894 Brills.  The other six cars in this view are too far away to be identifiable.  There is a line of three on the outer lakebound track at our right.  One car is on the center track; it is not a trailer, as a trolley pole can be seen, but it is not known why the car is there.  Finally, two riverbound cars can be seen in the distance. — Postcard by Detroit Photographic Co.  Detail views from


Previous Picture | Next Picture