The motorman of Cemeteries car 839, a 1922 product of Perley Thomas, catches a breath of fresh air in the front window as he awaits the traffic light on Canal Street at the St. Charles/Royal intersection, some time in the summer of 1942. The car is riverbound on the inner track. The car next to 839 is on the Freret or S. Claiborne line, on the outer track, and will turn right up St. Charles Street when the traffic light permits. The track at the far right, the outer lakebound track, is used for one block by the Desire and Gentilly cars, which come up Royal Street at this point and return down Bourbon Street.
Previous Picture | Next Picture